OUTLOOK was RE: [MAILSCANNER] RTFM... FAQ MAQ GOOGLE

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Thu Jul 15 16:20:43 IST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:45 +0100, you wrote:

>> I mean you can't use Outlook to filter based on X-MailScanner headers.
>
>I can, and do. There may be things I can't make the filters do, but none
>has ever happened in practice. Can you give an example filtering Outlook
>can't do?

After extensive testing we advised people to test for "SpamAssasin" in
our spamcheck header. Only to hear later that Outlook (used at most
departments) couldn't filter on specific headers so the advise became to
test for "SpamAssassin" appearing anywhere in the headers. Later it
turned out a few organizations (we receive e-mail from) also put in a
SpamAssassin report when the message was not spam. So those messages got
filtered out also.

At this moment most other mail clients can be thought to check the
contents of specific headers, defined in the filter rules. I must admit
I haven't seen Outlook 2003 yet, so I don't know whether that version
can be thought the same.

At this moment we advise to test for "sssss" in the headers.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk