RH AS 3

John Hinton webmaster at EW3D.COM
Wed Jul 14 19:06:22 IST 2004

ListServ wrote:

>How is MailScanner, Postfix and RH AS3 working together? Anyone have any
>opinions on the matter? Will Redhat work ok with MailScanner. I heard
>someone complain about  RH version 9 and just wanted to make before I built
>this machine.
>

>Roger
>
>-------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
>To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

I'll pipe in on this one! I'm running WhiteBox EL, which is a most exact
clone of RHEL AS 3.0. Yes, with only graphics, legaleze and up2date changed.

First, the installation is nothing short of beautiful!!! It even pauses
to allow you time to read a good bit of what's going on! Very very nice!!!

I am running the MailScanner/SpamAssassin/ClamAV combo.

Now as far as performance... well... it does seem to take some
horsepower. I found I could not run it on my main server, just too much
load. So, as a test bed, I set it up on an old Compaq 3000, with a
single 550 PIII processor and 10rpm wide-ultra scsi raid with I think
384 megs of ram. Still not too shabby of a system, although getting a
bit long in the tooth for such new chores. I have placed a couple of
email addresses and one domain, which gets pounded with spam to run my
tests. These accounts get between 3500 to 4500 emails a day combined and
on a very even schedule (imagine a perfect wedge shape on a chart with
very little curve). This is about all this machine can handle. It does
have a caching nameserver running on it, and other than that, the
machine only serves as a tertiary nameserver with about 500 domains listed.

My swap drive is used very little, so I feel like this is enough ram for
this amount of mail, but the load averages, which are barely hanging in
under one, will many times throughout the day shoot up to 6. That's just
about "kernel kills processes time".

I just began this test with this volume a few days ago. I have been
running the system for about a month with no adverse effects. This
latest increase in mail volume was a way for me to try to figure out
what it's going to take to run a mailserver with maybe 100,000 emails
per day. Hopefully, it is not a factor of 25 times, as that would be a
very expensive server!! Quad 2.8 Xeons perhaps?

I am also running MailScanner MRTG, if anyone would see the results,
just pop me an email with the request.

Best,
John Hinton

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk