Sendmail user forward file not working

Josue Souza josue at NEXOS.COM.BR
Thu Jul 8 18:15:48 IST 2004

Hello,

I have MailScanner 4.30.3 installed via ports on a FreeBSD 4.9 server, using
SpamAssassin for spam filtering and Sendmail as MTA. This server has also a
SquirrelMail installed for webmail interface for mail users. I had to enable
auto-response features on this setup and using Sendmail's vacation programa
was the first option that came into consideration so I decided to try it.

I have installed a SquirrelMail plugin so that users could setup their own
vacation options. This is working fine but Sendmail is completely ignoring
users .forward files in their home directories.

I decided to simplify the test and wipe out all vacation configurations and
just put a single e-mail address in a .forward file to see if it would get
redirected and nothing happens. The message is delivered to the local user
and there's no entry referring to the forwading of the message in any log file.

I searched the FAQ, archives and Google and found nothing about it so it
doesn't appear to be a common problem, which leads me to think that I'm
doing something wrong.

The installation was done following MailScanner's documentation. Here is how
I'm starting my two Sendmail daemons:

/etc/rc.sendmail:

start_mta()
{
        case ${sendmail_enable} in
        [Nn][Oo][Nn][Ee])
                ;;
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' sendmail'
                ${sendmail_program} ${sendmail_flags}
                ${sendmail_program} -q15m
                ;;

/etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in"

I also checked /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to see if it's pointing to users'
forward files and it seems correct:

O ForwardPath=$z/.forward.$w+$h:$z/.forward+$h:$z/.forward.$w:$z/.forward

Anyone have any hints to try to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Josue Souza

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk