I'm curious as to what Bayes was doing in my situation.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Jul 8 14:40:43 IST 2004

I realize that this is more of an SA list question than MS, but I don't
subscribe to SA lists and figured the answer may help MS users.

I had set up a new mail server which replaced an older one. To test this
box, I had moved only my account to this box for about two weeks while I set
up the other accounts. My account was the only one active and relayed to
from our gateway. Bayes learned properly for me using new DB files

Once I started routing all users' mail to the box, Bayes was rejecting most
everyone else's mail with the Bayes_99 rule. This seems similar to Bayes
poisoning (self-induced).

Can someone explain in a simple manner why Bayes would flag most unseen mail
this way?

Thanks.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com