Newbie question

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Mon Jul 5 00:53:21 IST 2004

Charlie Don wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a FC2 box with sendmail.
>
> I have install clamav with the provided rpms. clamav-milter as well.

You don't need clamav if you use clamav in MailScanner.  Use either, not
both.

> Then, I have started the clamavd daemon (which I think is not necessary
> for Mailscanner).

Your are right, this is unnecessary.

> After that I have successfully installed MailScanner. I've done it a
> couple years ago but I've used Sophos instead.
>
> Now, I have checked virus.scanners.conf and I saw a line clamav
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper /usr/local
>
> the clamav-wrapper has the correct path for clamavscam which I think it
> is ok
>
> There's also a clamav-autoupdate.
>
> Does it mean that the system is corrected installed using the clamav
> antivirus?
>
> Does it mean that the updates will be carried out automatically? There's
> also an entry on my crond.
>
> How can I check if it is working properly?

Check in your logs.  You should have one entry every 1 hour (the exact
minute varies, though).

Example:

Jul  4 05:01:00 lubik update.virus.scanners: Delaying cron job up to 600
seconds
Jul  4 05:05:42 lubik update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
Jul  4 05:05:42 lubik update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for clamav

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk