Implement Access Control List With MailScanner???

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Fri Jul 2 01:38:29 IST 2004

On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 02:05  PM, Walt Wyndroski wrote:

> If an email arrives at my mail server with the from header as
> user at mydomain,
> I need to further look at the message to see if the message originated
> from
> one of the subnets for which I relay. If it did, I'll accept it. If it
> didn't, I'll discard it. If anyone knows of a Sendmail m4 rule for
> this,
> please point me in the right direction and accept my apologies for
> being on
> the wrong list. :) Otherwise, if MailScanner can already do this or if
> someone has already written a custom function for this, please point
> me in
> the right direction.

I think I saw a message about this maybe a month or so ago.  The
suggested solution was to use the rulesets for spam.whitelist.rules and
spam.blacklist.rules in the following clever way:

In your spam.whitelist.rules:

From: mydomain.com   and  From: our.ip.add.ress   yes
From: mydomain.com   and  From: our.oth.era.dres   yes
FromOrTo:   default  no

In your spam.blacklist.rules:

From: mydomain.com   yes
FromOrTo:   default  no

I know that seems scary, but evidently the whitelist takes precedence
and you won't be blacklisting your own mail.  Caution, I haven't tried
it myself.

Alternatively, publish SPF records for your domain and either push spf
into sendmail using a milter or wait for spamassassin 3.0 to use spf as
part of your spam check.

Mark Nienberg

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk