mcafee uvscan not using /usr/local/uvscan/datfiles/current

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Thu Jan 29 14:17:27 GMT 2004

Remco Barendse <mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO> wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Tony Finch wrote:
>> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie at RFA.ORG> wrote:
>> >
>> >However it appears that uvscan is being called with old dats that exist
>> >in /usr/local/uvscan/*.dat.
>>
>> These should be symlinks to datfiles/current/*.dat

I should probably also note that the autoupdate script will create the
datfiles directory and set up all the necessary symlinks the first time
it is run. Remove the datfiles directory before running it to get a
clean setup.

>Uhmm, not really You should *not* use any symlinks at all.

You're the first person to mention this problem. If you can pin it
down more precisely I would be interested -- i.e. steps I can follow
to reproduce the problem.

I wrote the McAfee update script and I haven't seen any reports of
viruses slipping through from my users. (30,000 users and over 500,000
messages per day.)

McAfee is a bit odd about symlinks, but AFAICT it works so long as the
directory containing the actual uvscan binary contains the DAT files, or
symlinks to the dat files.

Tony.
MULL OF KINTYRE TO ARDNAMURCHAN POINT: NORTHWEST, BACKING WEST OR SOUTHWEST, 5
OR 6. RISK OF SHOWERS, WINTRY AT FIRST. MAINLY GOOD. MODERATE OR ROUGH.