rant about anti-virus and spam, MS flamed

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Jan 28 23:37:10 GMT 2004

At 06:09 PM 1/28/2004, Leonard Hermens wrote:
> >Can you cite an example of when, at the present time, it is a good idea to
> >have a mailserver configured to auto respond to a sender and notify them
> >that a message sent contained a live virus infection?
>
>Any virus or macro virus that is sent manually by the sender.

I'll agree that is a particular email where it is good for a server to
autorespond.

However, that's not an answer to the question.

A mailserver can't be configured to tell the difference between a manual
send and an automated one, so your example is a single isolated email
example. I'm asking for a situation where it's a good idea to configure
your mailserver in such a manner, not a single message case.

Real world, real mailserver, present time, realistic situation where it
would be a good idea to have a server do this. (ie: how can you do it on an
automated basis without inflicting casualties, and still reap some useful
benefit.)