I need to tweak filename rules

Chris Yuzik chris at FRACTALWEB.COM
Tue Jan 27 05:33:11 GMT 2004

Mike Kercher wrote:

>Look at the very last rule in /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
>
># Deny all other double file extensions. This catches any hidden filenames.
>allow   \.[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,3}\s*\.[a-z0-9]{3}$   Found possible filename
>hiding
>
>Note: I have changed mine to ALLOW these and not deny them.  Make sure you
>reload MailScanner after altering this file.

Mike,

OK, that should be interesting.

But what about this, which is commented in the top few lines of the file?

# Due to a bug in Outlook Express, you can make the 2nd from last extension
# be what is used to run the file.

So, would that mean that OE might actually run "somebadfile.exe.doc" as
an exe? If that's the case, then perhaps overriding the rule isn't a
good idea.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris