Filter filetype not working

Ed Corrado ecorrado at ATHENA.RIDER.EDU
Tue Jan 27 02:55:14 GMT 2004

I have recently installed MailScanner on a RedHat machine running Sendmail.
My  main purpose was to use it for spam filtering with SpamAssasian. That is
working great. However, I have been asked to filter out executables.It
appears the default config files are set up to do this - but it is not
working. I have just sent my account on the machine running MailScanner a
e-mail with a .exe file and it didn't get filtered. I also sent a file wit
the name happy99.exe which is specifically filtered in the configuration
files and that got past as well. I have not edited filename.rules.conf or
filetype.rules.conf at all.

I am running MailScanner version:

  $Id: MailScanner.pm,v 1.5.2.1 2003/11/27 14:45:56 jkf Exp $

In my MailScanner.conf I have the following two lines:

Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/filename.rules.conf
Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/filetype.rules.conf

I have seen people asking similar questions in the list archives, but I
haven't found any suggestions that have worked for me. Does anyone have any
idea what I should be looking for to fix this problem?

Ed C.