Manually test RBL?

Max Kipness mkipness at GENIANT.COM
Sun Jan 25 16:15:10 GMT 2004

> >I've got two severs set with MailScanner and using the RBL
> spamcop.net.
> >One one server spamcop works great and seems to tag more
> spam than any
> >other RBL, but on the other server (in a different
> network/location),
> >spamcop is not getting one hit and the logs show that it times out
> >every time. This is a client's site and this server has a
> Pix firewall
> >and ICMP turned off both ways. I don't think this makes a
> difference though.
> >
> >Is there anyway from the command line to test connectivity
> with spamcop?
> >
> >Or does anybody have an idea why this might be happening?
> >
> >On the RBL line in SpamScanner,
>
> SpamScanner?

Oops, meant MailScanner.

> >  spamcop is listed as 'spamcop.net' on both servers.
>
> What about the dot on the end? It should be there, like it is
> for the other lists. Otherwise check the DNS setup on the
> rogue machine. The standard test is this:

Here is the exact line on both servers. They both do not have the dot at
the end, but the one that is working catches about 1000 vi spamcop every
day. Should I add the dot at the end anyway? And should I use
bl.spamcop.net. instead of just spamcop.net that I'm using now?

Spam List = ORDB-RBL spamhaus.org spamcop.net list.dsbl.org
cbl.abuseat.org opm.blitzed.org

Concerning the good server, I get basically the same results that you
had listed. However, with the server that is having problems I get the
following for the spamcop test:

[root at pavescan MailScanner]# dig 2.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. any

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> 2.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. any
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;2.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net.      IN      ANY

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bl.spamcop.net.         86400   IN      SOA     loopback. root.loopback.
1 3600 600 3600000 86400

;; Query time: 23 msec
;; SERVER: 10.254.71.10#53(10.254.71.10)
;; WHEN: Sun Jan 25 10:13:06 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

Any suggestions? Do you know why it is listing loopback.

Thanks,
Max