Listing MailScanner on Sourceforge and the OpenProtect software project

Tristan Rhodes tristanr at CI.GRANDJCT.CO.US
Tue Jan 20 00:35:00 GMT 2004

In my opinion, the Bug-Tracker would be very useful, in addition to the mailing list and FAQ.  I love the mailing list, but it produces a TON of text and searching the archives has its own issues.  Occasionally you may find incorrect information (perhaps from me).  Sometimes you may find a relevant post, but it is not up-to-date.  In some cases the user may give up before finding a solution.

The bug-tracker would help eliminate posts like, "Was that Postfix issue ever resolved?"  Granted, you might still have to reply, "Check the bug-tracker [link] #23904".  Then when a person searches the archives they will see the link to the bug-tracker, and they will find the current status of the issue.

The bug-tracker would be used for software development issues (feature requests, security concerns, reproducible problems, compatibility issues, etc).  The bug-tracker uniquely identifies the issues, and tracks their current status.  The mailing list and FAQ will continue to be great tools for all types of support questions.  Utilizing all of these tools simplifies responding to an ever increasing amount of support questions and will help with the management of ongoing issues.

I have one pet peeve with the mailing list archives; I get frustrated when I hit "Back" and then have to click "Refresh" and "Retry" to view the page.

Tristan Rhodes

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 20:17, Matthias Klose wrote:

>don't forget to enable the bug tracking system ;-) that would be
>better than searching the mailing list.

Please don't, the list archives are quite good enough.  Spreading the
places solutions can be found will only increase the amount of work
required to find the answer (as people tend to put in a finite amount of
effort this would probably increase the number of redundant questions
rather than reduce them).