Custom spamassassin rules files

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 21:03:34 GMT 2004

At 20:52 14/01/2004, you wrote:
>Okay... I give up. I can not trace why whese rules aren't kicking in.
>
>I've tried to add the popcorn, chickenpox, and weeds rules that are out
>there. I've thrown the cf files in both /etc/mail/spamassassin/ and
>/usr/share/spamassassin/ trying to make this work. There have been plenty of
>spams that should have triggered these but it just isn't working.
>
>Setup has MailScanner running on a gateway sendmail server so nothing is a
>true "local" address. Mail is definately being scanned, just not picking up
>the custom rules.
>
>I'm just at a loss why this isn't working, trying to stay away from needing
>to add these to spam.assassin.prefs.conf but I have no other solutions.
>
>Any ideas would be helpful.

Find where your 50_scores.cf file is located and put them in the same
directory. However, check they are Unix text files and not DOS text files.
od -c bigevil.cf | head
should show the end of line sequence is just "\n" and not "\n\r". If it is
"\n\r" then they need to be converted to Unix text files. See the
"dos2unix" program for details on how to easily convert them.
--
Julian Field