SA userprefs

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Jan 13 18:48:56 GMT 2004

At 10:41 AM 1/13/2004, Christoph Resch wrote:
>Hi ,
>
>i try to bring my user-specified spamassassin-rules to work (SA is run via
>MailScanner. ) on a debain woody.
>
>i defined  a whitelist_from in the ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file of a user
>(=sysop) reading:

The user-prefs file in ~/.spamassassin is not used when running SA under
mailscanner.. it's replaced by spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

>whitelist_from  root at mydomain.com
>
>i want to run the GTUBE-Spam test, with fictional the result that the
>GTUBE-Mail sent by root to sysop will be whitelisted and not refused by SA .
>
>but after running this test i get the root-mail as spam .. but shouldnt it
>even been whitelisted with score a score of 1000 ??? .. should be i think !

No.. that's not how SA's whitelist works, and it's not how GTUBE works.

First, GTUBE is designed to be a 100% sure-fire way to ensure a message
gets declared to be spam by SA. No matter what the whitelists, etc say, if
it's got a GTUBE, SA will always declare it to be spam. No exceptions,
unless something in SA is bugged.

The SA whitelist_from system only deducts 100 points from the score...
whitelist+gtube = 900 point email = tag.

However, MailScanner has it's own whitelist system, and that whitelist will
allow the message to go untagged, no matter what SA declares it to be
(although it will report what SA had to say about the message)