New McAfee Commandline Scanner for Unix/Linux is out

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon Jan 12 04:45:38 GMT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 03:14 am, Tom Miller wrote:
> I'm running the non-P4 optimized version on two RedHat 7.3 servers and a
> RedHat 9 server with no problems.
>
> -Tom
>
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:53:54PM -0000, Randal, Phil wrote:
> > Needless to say I'd tested beore I posted.
> >
> > I used the Linux Pentium 4 optimised build on Fedora Core 1.  It still
> > works, still catches viruses, with no (as yet) apparent memory leaks or
> > problems.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Phil

OK - trap for young players:
DO NOT USE THE PENTIUM-OPTIMISED VERSION ON PENTIUM CLASSIC!!

I've just wasted an hour or so trying to figure out why it wasn't working.
According to McAfee/NAI release notes for the optimised version:
The product has been optimised for Pentium 4 but is fully compatible with
all Intel Pentium processors.

This is not quite right.  If I install the non-optimised version on my (poor
antiquated) P-133 mail gateway everything is fine.  It's running Debian
(Woody) and MailScanner 4.23-11 plus SpamAssassin 2.61.  No special updates
or jiggery-pokery required.  Actually, the non-optimised version is a
no-brainer!

Now install the the P4 optimised version on the same system and it will
complain that it can't load libstdc++.so.5.  You can manually symlink this:
ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3.0.4 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

Now uvscan will run but you'll get stuff like this:
./uvscan: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available
(required by ./uvscan)
./uvscan: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available
(required by ./uvscan)
./uvscan: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available
(required by /usr/local/lib/liblnxfv.so.4)
./uvscan: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no version information available
(required by /usr/local/lib/liblnxfv.so.4)

Ugly.

So in short, be careful about trying to use the P4 optimised McAfee/NAI
scanner on earlier Pentium's.  The Pentium-classic (pre MMX) is a definite
no-no.  Not sure how you'd go with the P166MMX-P233MMX (essentially the
classic with MMX extensions) or the PII series.  P3/P4 should be OK though.

James
--
Fortune cookies says:
"Mind if I smoke?"