ANNOUNCE: Unstable release 4.26-4 released (harping)

Robin M. robin at PRIMUS.CA
Sat Jan 10 20:56:53 GMT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> Try it again with the new file. I don't see how on earth you ever got an
> error about a - in line 4. There isn't one.

Hi Julian thanks for listening.

I see that you have updated your spec file, but I do not see the updated
corresponding source code on the site...

Just to wrap up this is my spec file

Sorry I snipped lines 1 and 2 ... line 4 is
"Version:        4.25-14"

<snip>
Name:           MailScanner
Version:        4.25-14
Release:        1
Source:         %{software_name}-%{version}.tar.gz
</snip>

when I try to build the rpm..
[hosting /opt/RPM/SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba
MailScanner.spec
error: line 4: Illegal char '-' in version: Version:        4.25-14
Exit 1

> However, to keep you all happy I have changed the version numbering scheme
> for you.

Thanks Julian.

> I still don't understand all the fuss, I have never seen anything
> fail from using the version numbering system I used.

Hopefully it is not something I am doing wroing with rpm to create all the
fuss but I am pretty sure I am correct. Someone please correct me if I am
wrong...

> But I'm fed up with the argument :-)

Thanks again for listening Julian.