Emails made up of random words

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Fri Jan 9 18:23:54 GMT 2004

On Jan 9, 2004, at 3:32 AM, Rick Cooper wrote:

> [...]

Based upon my observation, they miss the point.

> There is much discussion of this topic (bayes poison) on the
> spamassassin list and there are a couple of counter measures
> being developed so you may want to subscribe to spamassassin-talk
> and follow the thread relating to large collections of random
> words.

It's not just a bayes poisoning attack, in my observation.  Most of the
messages I've seen like this have multipart/alternative structure where
the text and html segments don't match (the text segment is gibberish
and the html segment has spam).  Rules that try to identify gibberish
would seem to be rather misguided ... just find a way to check and see
if the two segments don't match in content.

I tried asking about this on the sa-talk list, even re-posting my
question, and have had NO response.  The sa-talk list is rather
annoying in this regard.

Which thread topics are the ones you're talking about?  (there are too
many of them to read each and every one of them to track it down)