Bouncing Spam

Mark Warpool Mark.Warpool at BENCHMARK-USA.COM
Fri Jan 9 13:46:35 GMT 2004

Allow me to point out one simple use for it, which is what I have been
using it for recently.  As a sort of "debugging" technique.  I wanted to
get a bead on just how many false-positives that I have been getting,
and so I turned on the bouncing, expecting that the people who get the
bounce would give me a call and let me know.

I will be turning mine off soon, as I'm not getting anywhere near the
amount of false positives I was afraid I was getting.

         Mark Warpool
Phone: (419) 843-6691
Cell: (419) 356-2298

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 7:25 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Bouncing Spam

At 12:09 09/01/2004, you wrote:
>I have been using MailScanner for a year or so. We used to flag spam
>messages but accept them. As the volumes of spam increased we have now
>started to bounce spam messages. We bounce rather than delete so as to
be
>polite to people who send legitimate messages which are 'falsely'
marked as
>spam.

Please do *not* bounce spam messages. Virtually all spam these days has
fake sender address, which belongs to some poor hapless individual who
knows nothing about it. If you bounce spam, they get messages in their
mailbox from MailScanner all about spam they never sent.

Result: They get very annoyed, as they can't see any of their real mail
among all the MailScanner spam bounce messages.
Result of that: They complain to me about it, and I can't help them.
Result of that: MailScanner gets a very bad name, and you have wasted
yet
more of my time that I have to spend answering these (often rude,
abusive
and threatening) emails.

So please do *NOT* bounce spam.

I may well remove the feature completely very soon as I can't see any
valid
use for it any more.
--
Julian Field