OT: FW: Verification required for kfliong@wofs.com, protected by 0Spam.com.

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 1 13:37:45 GMT 2004

At 22:08 31/12/2003, you wrote:
>Kevin
>
>You have a hell of a lot more patience than me.

More than me too.
Automated responses to mailing list postings don't annoy me too much (I
take the "it's your loss" view). What gets me is when someone has mailed me
asking for my help. I spend considerable effort giving them the best and
most helpful response I can, and am met with an authentication request. I
refuse on principal to jump through all the hoops, and it means I have just
wasted my time and effort. If you want my help, whitelist me *before* you
send me the request for help. Do not expect me to jump through hoops to
contact you, just because you couldn't be bothered.

The spammers will eventually write enough code to work around these
authentication systems (it's quite possible, just harder than they want to
try at the moment). So they will fall by the wayside in a year or two at
most. Any single defence mechanism is doomed to fail, and fail quite quickly.

Happy New Year everyone! May it be a fruitful and happy one for all of you.

Jules.

--
Julian Field