MailScanner -4.22-5+Postfix - 2.0.18-20040122 + SpamAssassin-2.63-1 on RedHat9.0 100% cpu consumtion by Mailscanner !!!

Csillag Tamás cstamas at digitus.itk.ppke.hu
Sun Feb 29 16:05:48 GMT 2004

Hi,

I had the same problem.

At last I was able to solve the problem. (using the hold queue)
But later I realized that the mailscanner model (modifying the queue
files directly) cannot live with the fast development of postfix.

In postfix 2.1 the qmgr (the queue manager) changes completely.
(maybe this is true for your version too?
ls /var/spool/postfix*/corrupt)
The current mailscanner cannot deal with this new qmgr.

I think the scenario is the following:
1. postfix receives a letter
2. writes to a queue file
3. client disconnects and postfix put executable bit on the received queue file.

I think mailscanner starts the scanning after 2 and before 3 that cause
the problem.
Try to:
1. stop mailscanner
2. receive a mail and
3. start mailscanner after.
It will work perfectly! (at least worked for me)

So I decided to use the 'postfix interface'
(In this case postfix sends the mails to another port where a content
fileter listens and waits for the filtered content on another port)

Read my letter sent to the postfix list:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=bvdck4%242gk6%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcstamas%2Bpostfix%2Bmailscanner%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

Any ideas?

--
cstamas