A few questions I can't find in archive...

Fri Feb 27 22:26:21 GMT 2004

Hi!

> All the trimmings: tmpfs, caching DNS, local lookups.
>
> We do have a large (20k) number of messages in the outbound queue.

> > In top the MailScanner process continuously has near 100% of CPU 2.
> > The idle percentage hunts around between one of the virtual CPU's at
> > near 0% and the rest roughly equal. Sometimes all four are roughly
> > equal. Our CPU utilisation as showing in Mailscanner-MRTG (older
> > version) is higher than we would like it to be.
>
> 72K is not that many for a dual xeon, sounds strange. Are you using
> tmpfs also ? Do you have a RBL lookups on a local server or all on the
> remote RBL servers? Do you run a caching DNS on the box itself ?

Most likely you have a IO problem ? Do you run stats on your box ?
A pakage like Orca can help a lot with things like this.

If might be wise to offload outgoing mail with a smarthost to a smtp-out
box, dedicated for that job. So the MS box can concentrate on the
scanning.

Bye,
Raymond.