A few questions I can't find in archive...

Nick Nelson nnelson at 1SEO.NET
Fri Feb 27 20:58:56 GMT 2004

Hi folks.

I've read through a lot of the performance posts in the archives and
have decided on this machine:

Dual Opteron 240
1 Gig ECC Registered DDR RAM
3x80Gig SerialATA drives

Most likely running Fedora as that seems to perform best with the Opterons.

If I do not choose this machine (my first question coming) I will go
with a similar Dual Xeon package, same RAM, however most likely only IDE
drives.

My first question is, anyone have any input on MS in a 64bit enviorment?
  I'll probably end up running it in 32bit anyhow, but
advantages/disadvantages?

Secondly, the purpose of this machine will be hopefully to scan all
incoming and outgoing mail for about 30 mailservers. I have also
reviewed a commercial device (BarracudaNetworks.com) which doesn't seem
to offer that many advantages, the one advantage it offers, which I'm
guessing MS does too is the ability to specify:

domain1.com -> mail1.host.com
domain2.com -> mail3.host.com
domain3.com -> mail32.host.com

Basically need the ability to direct which mailserver each different
domain should be relayed too. I could not find anything regarding this
in the MS docs, is this possible?

Any input on the use of MS over say BarracudaNetworks produt which will
run at minimum for a dual xeon/opteron configuration in the $7000 range?

Thanks.. :)

Nick