Few general questions regarding MailScanner

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Thu Feb 26 00:47:43 GMT 2004

Hello everyone. I'm new to the list, but i've researched your product here
for the past couple of weeks.

I wanted to ask some questions and get some feedback regarding mailscanner
as im looking for a solution for our company mail server.

Here is what im currently working with:

FreeBSD 4.9
Sendmail 8.12.11
Cyrus-Imapd-2.2.3
Cyrus-Sasl-2.1.17

Currently, it appears that the mail server is going to sit on the DMZ, so
sendmail, cyrus and all the other goodies will all be on the same box
(although my preference is to use a SMTP gateway, that may not be a option)

Mailscanner came recommended by a colleague of mine as well MIMEDefang (not
comparing the two, but I am looking at the two as solutions).

Here is what im looking for:

-stability
-security
-reliability
-performance
-spam checking and virus checking (obviously)

I want the ability to setup the mail server, know that the products will do
their job and not have to worry about it.
I'm still looking for a virus scanner, so if anyone has one they recommend,
im all eyes. :)

I'd just like to hear about the benefits and any drawbacks of mailscanner.
Like I said, i've pretty much narrowed it down to mailscanner and mimedefang.

I really look forward to hearing some feedback here.

Cheers,

Jason