clamav-autoupdate

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Feb 24 01:45:24 GMT 2004

Miguel Koren OBrien de Lacy wrote:

>Pete;
>
>I'm not sure there is any upgrade information. You actually don't need much because
>the process is simple since you already have the conf file and the clamav user. What I
>do is:
>
>a) uncompress and untar the distribution in a directory of choice (I use /usr/local/src)
>b) go into the directory and do a ./configure (setting any options: I use "./configure
>--sysconfdir=/etc")
>c) make
>d) stop MailScanner and any rouge sendmail processes
>e) make a backup of my clamav.conf (just in case)
>f) stop cron temporarily (just in case)
>g) make install
>h) restart MailScanner (check to see if it started ok)
>i) restart cron
>j) after an hour or so see if the pattern updating is working normally
>
>This has worked fine for 3 upgrades so far. It takes about 5 minutes, maximum.
>
>MailScanner itself is also very, very easy to upgrade, You just follow the install
>instructions and then remember to update the MailScanner.conf file. Of course if you
>come from a much older version this may not be the case. I think that MailScanner has
>absolutely the best install/upgrade script I have used. But since this is Perl, your
>Perl infrastructure may interfere with this great feeling, although I never had
>problems. I like seeing the part "Oh good, you seem to ...." during the process; it's
>a human touch.
>
>Miguel
>
>--
>Konsultex Informatica (http://www.konsultex.com.br)

Awesome, thanks very much. Am trying the clam upgrade now.

I am planning to upgrade MS in March. I am very cautious about this sort
fo thing, but i do want to use the newer SA and add DCC support. So i
will attempt an upgrade of my back up mail filter in place, (2
mailscanners running side by side), with an option in my schedule to
allow for a total rebuild, should i break it :)

Thanks
Pete