New variant of MyDoom?

Paul Arrington arringtp at MUSC.EDU
Mon Feb 23 23:07:22 GMT 2004

#-----Original Message-----
#From: MailScanner mailing list
#[mailto:MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Michael St. Laurent
#Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 5:54 PM
#To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
#Subject: Re: [MAILSCANNER] New variant of MyDoom?
#
#Bob Jones <mailto:bob.jones at USG.EDU> wrote:
#> Hey all... we have recieved a few messages with .zip
#attachments that
#> aren't caught by the latest McAfee which seem to be a new variang of
#> MyDoom.  All the virus company's websites are very slow right now so
#> I'm assuming this is hitting a lot of people.  We have temporarily
#> started blocking .zip attachments until we get definitions that can
#> recognize it.  Just a heads up...
#
#Thanks for the heads-up.
#

Thanks from me, too.  Thought it might be this:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101038.htm

(I use McAfee)  They are not officially releasing a definition for this
until next week.  I installed their extra.dat file and immediately started
seeing hits in the mail log.