Hello? (was Re: Adding Envelope Headers?)

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Fri Feb 20 18:25:59 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:

> At 10:05 20/02/2004, you wrote:
> >(I get the feeling you didn't read the original message I wrote in this
> >thread)
>
> Quite right. You don't have to deal with the volume of mail I do.
>
> And there's then the minor of doing my day job as well. If you want to see
> all the stuff I am responsible for at work, look here:
> http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~jkf/myjob.html
> I have to squeeze MailScanner into the odd minutes here and there when I
> don't have more pressing things to do.
> We are a department of 1800 people and 1000 computers, in which everything
> computer-related (and all purchasing) is run by a team of 9 of us. We all
> have very busy lives.

Actually, looking over that URL, I think I do have a similar amount of
email.  I'm the primary email administrator for a university with
25000-ish active accounts in my email domain ... and I'm part of the
central campus IT group, where I have all of the regular duties in
addition to email (but I'm the only one primarily tasked with email, and
we're all over-tasked, so most of hte others in my small group don't
have enough in depth knowledge of our email set-up to do more than the
most basic issues with our email service anyway).  Thankfully, the
helpdesk IS a different group than mine.

I have a similar issue with not always seeing messages, but when I get
into a thread I try to make sure I read all of the rest of the messages
in that thread (for mailing lists, I tend to delete everything as I read
it, and only leave in the messages for a thread I'm participating in, so
that I can easily find new messages in that same thread).  I confess,
there have been times where I have wiped out my entire "MailScanner" or
"SpamAssassin" folder without reading the pending messages (or the
folder for OpenAFS ... and especially the one for qpopper back when I
was on that list).  Since I put out my CommuniGatePro<->MailScanner
scripts, I try to at least skim the subjects for this list before I do
that, though.

And message sorting rules (before CommuniGate Pro, it was procmail, but
CGP has a conceptually similar server-side rules mechanism, and I use
that now) are a god-send.  All of my postmaster mail goes to 1 folder.
Mailer-Daemon messages go to another.  When I was doing virus
notifications to postmaster, that went to another folder.

Anyways, I understand that you don't read every message, I was just
expecting that you would read direct replies to messages you wrote, or
that you might review a thread that you're about to reply to.  I'm not
saying you're wrong for not doing so, as I understand the high mail
traffic that you're probably dealing with ... I'm just saying that's
what I was expecting without having had more information.