Feature concept... "noisy viruses"?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Fri Feb 20 17:26:30 GMT 2004

Matt Kettler wrote:
> However, there are those that continue to use Virus notifies and manually
> maintain their silent virus list.. This would offer those administrators a
> "reduced headache" alternative while still reaching their goals of
> notifying senders where it's practical.
>
> I'm mostly proposing it from a concept of "If people are going to use it,
> at least offer them an option which defaults to the most-safe behavior if
> they fall behind in maintenance"
>
> I myself might even consider using the feature on occasion, despite my
> opposition to general virus notifications. However, I won't push strongly
> for you to implement it or not.

I'd be in favour of this as an alternative to removing the feature
altogether, especially if (as now) it matched on substrings. You could
"whitelist" WM97 for example and then someone would get a wake up if
they didn't know they had a macro virus, "Joke" or "Troj" would also
show that those types weren't welcome. Specific things like Gibe-F can
be added if they're high volume and known not to spoof.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"