Feature: Block Persistent Virus Senders?

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Fri Feb 20 16:15:55 GMT 2004

> >I was told that MailScanner supports the blocking of persistent virus
> >senders. I've sifted through the documentation and the changelog, but
> >can't seem to find any reference to this. Can someone tell me which
> >version this was introduced in and where I may find the corresponding
> >options or functions. Is it a custom function?
>
> I haven't heard of this option (which is _not_ an indication that
> it does not exist.) but this seems like it may be something
> better handled by the MTA.  Reject by IP in whatever your equilivent
> of an access table is.  That way you're not wasting any cycles
> on something you're going to reject anyway.  (Reject early and
> often, something the girls I was interested in always did. :)

Looks like it might be the IPBlock custom function, which allows you to
throttle the number of messages received from a given sender within an
hour. However, the description says that this pertains to all types of
senders (spam, virus, annoyances, and even mail from Mom). I'll hold out
and see if anyone else can clarify.

Vispan's author (formerly mailstats) used to automatically add
persistent virus senders to the access.db as part of the stats
collection cron job. He told me he didn't include this feature in the
latest build because Julian had included the same functionality in
MailScanner.