Stop scanning of outgoing mails?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Fri Feb 20 14:31:31 GMT 2004

Ugo Bellavance wrote on         Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:07:35 -0500:

> I might be missing something in the conversation (didn't get enough
> sleep this week), but you can use whitelists to disable spam checks for
> outgoing messages only (whitelist your internal servers by IP), and you
> can use rules to disable filename/type checks for outgoing messages
> only.

You can if you have a gateway thru which all your mail traffic relays.
That is not the case here. We have a distributed infrastructure with lots
of machines and each having its own mail servers. Some of them operated by
us with multiple customers and some of them operated by the customers
themselves. There are advantages and disadvantages centralizing all the
mail for the machines we operate and every time we were about to do it
something struck which made us realize that a distributed mail system
isn't that bad ... So we are going to keep it that way. Customers
authenticate via SMTP AUTH if they want to relay and we don't want to scan
these messages, only the incoming traffic. I hoped that I had overlooked a
certain special rule which would allow this, but there apparently isn't.
There is no way of whitelisting their IP because that usually gets
dynamically assigned. It should be possible to know within MailScanner
that they have authenticated, though. But it seems I'm the only one who
needs this solution, everyone else seems to split in and outgoing to
different machines if they don't want to have one of them scanned.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany