SpamAssassin location

Craig Daters craig at WESTPRESS.COM
Mon Feb 16 16:41:18 GMT 2004

>At 11:13 AM 2/16/2004, Craig Daters wrote:
>>I know that when I upgraded to SpamAssassin 2.63 from 2.61,
>>MailScanner could not find SpamAssassin.
>>
>>MailScanner was looking in '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail' for
>>the SpamAssassin directory and couldn't find it because it was in
>>'/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Mail'. So I just symlinked it and everything
>>worked great after that. (It might have been the other way around, I
>>can't quite recall.)
>
>Ouch.. That's *not* a good thing....
>
>This means that when SA was configured, it found perl version 5.6.1. When
>MailScanner was run, it was run under version 5.8.0.
>
>Perhaps you should do some digging and find out why two different perl
>versions exist on your server, and properly re-install SA under the version
>of perl you want to use.

Well, I had SpamAssassin installed prior to MailScanner using RH9
stock RPM's. I then installed 'MailScanner' with 'MailWatch' and
desired to utilize 'teach sa-learn spam/ham' feature of 'MailWatch'.
When I started getting errors, I realized that 'sa-learn' is not part
of the stock RH RPM. I posed a question to the 'RedHat Users List'
that it '...was not on my system, what gives?' and I got a reply back
that RH '...does not include it, that I was using an old version' and
that i should upgrade to the current version found at the
SpamAssassin site. I downloaded the three RPM's available there;
SpamAssassin, SpamAssassin-tools, and ReqPerlModules. I could not
update the RH9 SpamAssassin RPM, so I uninstalled it, and then the
three newer RPM's installed fine. I suspect that the ReqPerlModules
RPM may be the culprit here?

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator
West Press Printing