SA timeout setting?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Feb 13 15:59:47 GMT 2004

At 09:00 AM 2/13/2004, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>I'm still getting an occasional SA time-out when using Mailscanner and I
>can't repro it when scanning the same message again. I thought I had seen
>a time-out setting of 20 seconds in Mailscanner.conf but that was wrong.
>There's only a time-out counter. What's the time-out MS uses for SA and
>how can I change it?
>(No, I'm not using any RBL tests in SA, never did.)

 From MailScanner.conf:

# If SpamAssassin takes longer than this (in seconds), the check is
# abandoned and the timeout noted.
SpamAssassin Timeout = 60

# This means that remote network failures causing SpamAssassin trouble will
# not mean your mail stops flowing.
Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20

Note: in general you shouldn't be getting timeouts for SA if you don't use
RBLS, and don't use razor/dcc/pyzor. It could be a matter of bayes expiry
runs causing timeouts if you use bayes.

Some of the most recent versions of MailScanner actively manage bayes
expiry to prevent timeouts while processing messages. If your version
doesn't, you can make a short-term fix by having a daily cron job call
sa-learn --force-expire.