Adding Envelope Headers?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Feb 13 14:00:11 GMT 2004

Derek Winkler wrote on         Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:51:29 -0500:

> I added the from to X-Algo-MailScanner-Information with a custom function.

Sorry, I fear I don't understand what you mean or maybe I just fear I won't
be able to do that. But, wouldn't it be much better to have it added like

instead of being buried in some other information?

> That's your MTA's job.

Almost overlooked that one. I think that's strictly a point-of-view thing.
Why should it be natural for the MTA to do? Anyway, I searched around how
sendmail could do this and it simply doesn't. I found only these clumsy
procmail solutions:
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.29
http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/sendmail/sharedmailbox.html
and still no X-Envelope-From.

We are currently using a milter which happily adds both headers by default
and I found that they are very useful for everything concerning anti-spam
measures, adding to access.db etc. but also for whitelisting. Actually, I
was quite surprised when first checking out Mailscanner that it doesn't add
these headers and wonder why it doesn't. Mailscanner seems to be the perfect
place to do it. Obviously, sendmail doesn't do, that's why several milters
add them (f.i. amavis-new does it, but why add another milter to the chain
if I don't need it for other things?).

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany