MailScanner -> Spamassassin taking insane amount of bandwidth

Yannick Cayer ycayer at 3WEBMEDIA.COM
Thu Feb 12 20:03:09 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I have the following configuration:

mailscanner-4.25-14
with spamassassin 2.61
sendmail 8.11.6-27

on an IBM x235

2 2.4GHZ Processors
1.25 GHZ of RAM
Hot swapable raid 5 config.

We have about a 100 small sites configured for mail mostly and some,
web.

This is running on RedHat Linux 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp

We have been running MailScanner on that machine for almost 2 years now
without any problems.

Since we have activated the anti-spam features using SpamAssassin,  and
standard Spam-Checking throught the ORBS lists, our bandwidth usage has
more than doubled.

Before activating that feature, we were using 80-100GB of bandwidth per
month. Now we're up to 224GB for last month.

Has anyone ever heard of SpamAssassin doing this?

Thank you in advance for your help.