For those of us that feel strongly that email should be a

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Wed Feb 11 14:47:38 GMT 2004

> At 23:40 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>>Julian, I honestly believe you did the right thing removing this
functionality. It doesn't belong. If some people get mad about it, let
them. Putting the functionality back is just facilitating laziness and
creates broken mailservers at the expense of others.

> But even better if I can put the functionality back in, but in such a
way
> that novice admins have to jump through a lot of hoops to enable it.
That
> way it can't be done by accident.
>
> And if I make the subject headers obvious, people can auto-delete the
notifications.

> (just trying to please everyone if possible :-)
> --
> Julian Field

Julian, I believe in your efforts to please everyone you are losing sight
of the real problem.

The crux of the problem is that there are individuals who, for their own
reasons, want to bounce mail whether it creates a problem for others or
not.  While there may be some that have misconfigured MS they are not the
individuals demanding that you reverse your decision to remove the bounce
option.

In all the discussions I have not seen anyone accuse these people of
incompetence or ignorance.  They know exactly what they are doing and have
the skills to do it.  While your efforts will make it more difficult for
someone to enable the option accidently you will certainly not accomplish
your objective of preventing MS being viewed negatively by those people
receiving the incorrectly bounced emails.

The bottomline is that enabling the bounce feature no matter how
convoluted you make it will result in MS being used to distribute unwanted
emails to innocent folks.  MS was rightly slammed by a reviewer for
bouncing messages and he later congratulated MS for removing the option.

Do what you believe is correct.  You will never please all the people all
the time.

Gerry