Including original headers in reports

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 16:54:22 GMT 2004

At 16:31 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>At 11:16 AM 2/10/2004, you wrote:
>>Since most modern virii and spam fake their addresses, why send out
>>notices at all?  It's sort of pointless, and I personally get tired of
>>virus infection messages from people who received an email supposedly
>>from me but with a forged TO:
>

>Well we think it would be irresponsible of us not to notify. As a matter of
>fact, it is a pain for us to do so and we only do so
>because of our client base. We would love not to have to do this. If one of
>our clients were expecting an urgent, time sensitive email and that email
>was did not make  through the MailScanner for some reason, we feel it is
>our obligation to notify the sender. Otherwise you have the situation where
>they believe the message was delivered and leave town, go out of the
>country, go on vacation or whatever, but our client is left hanging. The
>notification is critical in this regard because it allows us to quickly
>alert someone in case of an obvious mistake.
>Now one would argue the obvious that we are responding to far more spoofed
>messages than we are valid one and I would agree. But at this point and
>time, there is no other alternative for my company than do this.

Please can you do a compromise like this:
In MailScanner.conf, set
Required SpamAssassin Score = 6
High SpamAssassin Score = 10
Spam Actions = deliver bounce
High Scoring Spam Actions = deliver
That way low scoring (possibly marginal, possibly incorrectly tagged) spam
gets bounced back to the sender. But if you are sure it is spam (believe
me, a score of 10 will guarantee that!) then you don't bounce it.

Fortunately, with the latest version, even this isn't an option as I have
removed the "bounce" spam action completely.

If the message had a virus in it, then by default the recipient would still
get the message (with the virus removed) and so would know that the client
sent them an email.
--
Julian Field