Spam Lists To Reach High Score?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 09:46:24 GMT 2004

At 23:29 09/02/2004, you wrote:
>Julian Field wrote:
> > The message was found in SORBS-DNSBL and is therefore marked as spam.
> > What's the problem?
>
> > >Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 2
>
>My impression was that, because of this entry, it needed to be found
>in two lists, not just one.

It needs to be on 2 lists to "reach high score". If on 1 list, it will
still be treated as spam, but as normal spam (as opposed to high-scoring spam).

>   This is probably a misunderstanding on my
>part, so being on one list marks the message as spam while two lists
>marks the message as high scoring spam for people who have a different
>action for high scoring spam.

Correct.

>What I was hoping for was a way to have three tiers of spam lists.
>The most trusted ones are configured into sendmail, so the connection
>is dropped immediately and MailScanner never sees it.  For the second
>level, which I was trying to do here, mail is blocked only if it is
>found in multiple lists (to allow administrators to give some weight
>to what they might consider to be overly aggressive blacklists).
>Finally, if a message makes it past those checks, SpamAssassin will
>still assign points to the message based on what lists it was found
>in.

If you need more than 2 tiers, then you will have to implement something of
your own using "Custom Functions". Long ago, I came to the conclusion
(after much discussion on this list) that 2 tiers was enough for 99.9% of
people, and the other 0.1% would always want more tiers than I implemented.
--
Julian Field