mailscanner (Solaris 2.6) Could not open file

Chang Kai Cheong kcchang at HKUSUA.HKU.HK
Mon Feb 9 15:53:03 GMT 2004

Hi Kevin,

My Solaris got:

set rlim_fd_max = 4096

in /etc/system and I think 2048 (out of 4096) should be fairly good but
still it failed.  The strange thing is that the same error message keeps
going even after the restart of MailScanner.  I have to move the mqueue.in
away and create a new one in order to successfully start MailScanner and
make it work properly again (should it be a file descriptor problem??).  I
can re-start the MailScanner only if the mqueue.in is re-created and then
gradually moved back the queued messages.

Actually, my MailScanner has been running smoothly for over a year and got
this intermittent error since January 2004 (and I got the same version
running on Alpha Tru64 without problem).  I cannot find any clues in
truss output as well (only find a number of fstat/open/fcntl call to mail
messages and then rmdir of the incoming dir. before dying of child
mailscanner processes).  Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.
KC Chang