SA 2.63 upgrade

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Fri Feb 6 22:43:04 GMT 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 07:16 am, Jim Dickenson wrote:
> I am seeing the same problem. I updated, as I have always done, via RPM.
> What I am seeing is that none of the standard rules are getting tripped,
> just the RulesDuJour additions I have installed.
>
> I originally had the RulesDuJour .cf file in /usr/share/spamassassin
> along with the ones distributed with SA. I have moved them to
> /etc/mail/spamassassin but I am still seeing the same behavior.
>
> I also see that all the stuff that is spam is being auto-learned in my
> bayes files. What is the best way to stop using bayes files and then
> creating new ones. I need to get this problem sorted out before I can try
> to get my bayes files loaded again.
>
> TIA,
> --
> Jim Dickenson

Jim,

I posted a similar problem to this list a few weeks ago when I upgraded my
FreeBSD box via "ports" (fBSD "packages" for want of a better term).  All
my custom rules were being tripped but none of the standard  SA2.63 rules.
The problem was that between 2.61 -> 2.63 the fBSD port maintainer had
moved the location of the standard rules from /usr/share/spamassassin to
/usr/local/share/spamassassin.  All I needed to do was manually tell
MailScanner where the SpamAssassin files were, restart and voila!

Here's the relevent lines from MailScanner.conf:
SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = /usr/local/share/spamassassin

Hope that helps :)  The problem is that all the default SA rules are
version-specific.  You can ONLY use 2.63 rules with SA2.63 etc.  Sounds
like your spamassassin is finding the older 2.61 rules with the 2.63 engine
which means it will ignore them - have a look in the standard rules files;
there's a "require 2.63" or something similar at the top of each one.  DONT
change this BTW, this will break things even worse than it already is.

Cheers,

James
--
Fortune cookies says:
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate