X_MS_has_attach

Fri Feb 6 09:14:51 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:
> We are Domino shop, we have MailScanner/postfix/sa filtering all inbound
> mail. Very vanilla installation.
>
> We have merged with a company who used Exchange. Tnhey are sending
> messages from thier site, from exchange, over the net, into MailScanner
> to us.
>
> Suddenly we have started seeing messages from this company only that
> have the attachments icon in the client, to indicate that there is an
> attachment, but there is NO sign of an attachment.
>
> All other messages from people with attachments come through with no
> issue, or if they are noxious we get the inline spam warning as per
> usual. We have NO rules, just basic/default filename/type/warnjing
> settings in MS.conf.
>
> The only messages with attachments to have the X_MS_has_attach "yes"
> header are the ones from this new company, they have NO anti spam tools
> at all. There is no entry in the logs for these messages to have had an
> attachment modfied or anything.
>
> Maybe there is a way to modify this header?, but what are the
> implications of this? IS this header generated by mailscanner, why?
>
> We are in a situation where the new company (controlling) wants to force
> MS Exchange onto us in place of Lotus Domino, so incompabilities, that
> seems to be our fault work against in a hieous way - please help me fend
> off these marauding ms exchange loving heathens...for the love of Man,
> the benefit of the world and all that we stand for - etc :)

Hi

you might want to setup a whitelist rule for the new companies email
server so SA doesn't scan - I guess you'll still need the virus scanning????

Given the fact the other half is a m-sexchange site you might want to
investigate the TNEF settings on the MS host. doing TNEF from the perl
module is generally more powerful and less error prone than the binary,
but YMMV so check that.

Another option might be to setup a VPN between to two LAN's, quite easy
now-adays..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator