Fix for bayes rebuild bug on Solaris

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Feb 4 21:53:25 GMT 2004

Y'all,

   I'm running 4.26.8 with the following settings on Solaris 9,
with no problems due to the bayes autolearn (but I'm worried because
of your tale of woe):

* SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no
* the patch to SA.pm that Julian put out this morning
* uncommented "bayes_auto_expire 0" in spam.assassin.prefs.conf,
  per Julian's patch instructions this morning.
* I have the auto_whitelist_path defined in this file, but there
  is no whitelist file in /var/spool/spamassassin.  I wouldn't expect
  there to be.  I ran auto-whitelist once in the past, but it was
  such a pig that I turned it off, per Julian's advice.

Do you have gobs of lock and/or expire files in /var/spool/spamassassin?
What OS are you running on?  Have you disabled any force-expire or
force-rebuild in your ham/spam autolearn script?

I've checked my spamassassin tagging numbers for today, both regular
and high-test spam, and my numbers look about right.  If everything
was getting tagged as spam my phone would be ringing.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

PS.  Note to Southerners on this list.  Please don't be offended by
my "Y'all" greeting that I sometimes use in my emails.  Having lived
in Mississippi and Alabama for many years, I have concluded that this
pronoun is one of the South's great contributions to the English language.
I once had an HP software engineer in Atlanta blow up because he
thought my emails were poking fun at the Southern dialect (I live in Maine now).
It was a total misunderstanding on his part and I hope not to repeat it.
Now if the Queen would only use "Y'all", the revival of second-person
plural in English would be complete.