removal of "bounce" spam action in 4.26.7

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Feb 1 10:51:23 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 04:44, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> Have I understood this item in the announcement correctly?  Is it true
> that "bounce" is no longer a valid spam action?  If so, has something
> replaced it to achieve similar functionality?  I suppose I could
> always implement this my self by forwarding to an address that uses
> procmail to send the bounce, but that would be a shame.

You want to do some analysis on why the false positives are being
generated.  I managed to virtually eliminate them with a combination or
whitelisting, tuning the threshold and adding rules to match the names
of our products and assign negative scores.

Typically false positive will be right at the bottom end of the score
threshold, so either a) raise the lower threshold or b) lower the high
score threshold and use the attachment deliver option for the low
scoring spam.

As someone who has recently had his address used as the forged sender of
a spam run and woke up to find hundreds of such bounce messages in his
inbox I welcome the removal of the bounce option, and would encourage
anyone thinking of finding a way around it to think again.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.