Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Thu Dec 30 19:20:49 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 06:00:20PM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> Very good summary. You just saved me a whole load of typing and thinking.
> I would have to pipe messages out of Postfix, implementing my own entire
> robust queueing system, process them and then feed them back into
> Postfix by some "sanctioned" method, with another queue to buffer the
> MailScanner-->Postfix interface.
> Very messy.

Yes and no.

Aside from the verboten sharing of files, what other interactions does
Mailscanner have with postfix ? I'm guessing maybe some but not a lot.

I'm not saying the problem you describe is totally trivial, just that its
not MailScanner's problem: a seperate app could provide this service.
Indeed, this is surely the point about 'you could add another MTA, but
why would you want to do that?'  But, in the postfix design this seems
to be encouraged, or perhaps I have misunderstood?

MailScanner provides an interface to postfix that happens not to be
supported by the postfix people, but the impression I get is that users
like it. We're already agreed that there are (perhaps hypothetical)
options that would enjoy only the sanctified API, however bloated.

> Incidentally, something in the same vein has already been done for
> Communigate Pro, but I have never looked at that. I suspect (though
> without evidence either way) that it is not approx. 100% robust in the
> face of a concerted DoS attack. I go to some lengths to try to ensure
> that, when under attack, the MTA will give out long before MailScanner does.

Agreed, failure modes are at least as important as 'ordinary' operation with
this kind of thing.

To keep your head when all around are losing theirs :)

> Thanks for your well thought-out explanation, Drew!

Thank you both for having the patience to go over this with me.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall