Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Wed Dec 29 15:41:21 GMT 2004

(snip)

> Schrock,
>
> I'm not familiar with the design of postfix, but if, as I fear, this
> solution is not entirely to the satisfaction of the postfix
> philosophy,
> then I for one would be interested in understanding further what the
> issues are.  More optimistically, if this is the solution, then it is,
> as you point out, past time to put old troubles behind.
>
> Either way, with your infectious enthusiasm and disarming style,
> your contribution to healing this rift is important.
>
> So, thank _you_.
>
> Regards,
> Paddy

I'm not sure the "rift" would be healed that easy. Not unless we stop
perusing the queue files directly and start using one of the "official"
interfaces ([SMTP|LOCAL|PIPE], IIRC). I don't agree with Mr Venema on
this
point, I think we can view the queue files as "public interfaces" as
long
as there's publicly available source that details how it's "come
together",
but then again... I really don't think he cares what I think:-).

One could dream up a solution around the pipe interface where we could
invent a "MailScanner-Postfix" file format (I think someone already did
that once or twice), but I don't see much point in it... With the latest
fixes to make the (copied) queue files unique and the HOLD setup it is
pretty darned safe to use... and fast:-).

IMO this seems to be less of a technical problem anymore, and more a
political/philosophical (and perhaps personal) thing. Just ignore the
postfix-users list and go on being happy with MailScanner and Postfix;).

-- Glenn