Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

avery schrock at DAYZED.COM
Sun Dec 26 21:33:51 GMT 2004

Drew Marshall wrote:

> Drew,
>

>> Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, thank you. I needed that information badly
>> and so do others. I am making a proposal to expose this information. I
>> just wanted someone to specifically state the reasons why things have
>> changed. If more postfix users knew this they might not be so afraid of
>> using Mailscanner with postfix. The postfix community is still telling
>> people not to use Mailscanner with postfix even though it seems a
>> solution has been found. As of right this second the postfix experts on
>> the postfix mailing list are telling people that it is not safe to use
>> postfix and Mailscanner together.
>

> As you have researched, Julian Field (I *can* spell that one!) and the
> Postfix development team don't see eye to eye (To put it mildly). The
> attitude from the Postfix end is do it our way or not at all, which is
> sad and not totally in the spirit of open source (IMHO), after all what
> difference is MS moving messages to the queue runner moving messages?
> Anyway I'm not going to stand on that soap box :-) . I love MailScanner
> as it's well documented, easy to configure and does loads of clever
> stuff without me needing to know too much and it's always evolving and
> developing. Ironically, I love Postfix for the same reasons and it's
> pretty quick too! Fortunately there is a neat way to make the two work
> together. One last point. If you ever want to 'hold' a message you can't
> use Postfix to do so (As that is the MS interface) however MailScanner
> comes with great quarantine features which you can set up via rule sets
> which are much simpler than the regex required to make Postfix's content
> or header specific system work, just in case that one should surface as
> an argument... :-)
>
> Drew
>
> Happy to help
>
> Drew
>
> --
> In line with our policy, this message has
> been scanned for viruses and dangerous
> content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
> www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy

Drew,

I agree completely that Mailscanner is a awesome piece of software, so
is postfix though.

Maybe this isn't my place to say this, but at least this sort of
information should be on the Mailscanner website. The strength of
GNU/GPL/OpenSource communities is all of the great information you can
get that the proprietary world lacks so much of. Why not just openly
state that the postfix community does not agree with how Mailscanner
works with postfix and that Mailscanner has tried to accommodate the
postfix community. No politics no bull just the facts. Then people like
me are more educated on the subject and less people would be bothering
the Mailscanner experts on the mailing list : ) . Sometime exposting the
facts kills off the politics and drama.

A lot of people like me are struggling to keep open source products a
part of the IT infrastructure we work in. We sometimes have difficulty
getting the facts, and a lot of people are getting scared away from
Mailscanner because of this. I am not proposing changing anything, I am
just saying lets expose the facts.

Thanks for all of your great help,
Schrock