Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

avery schrock at DAYZED.COM
Sun Dec 26 04:43:06 GMT 2004

Volume: 500 messages/day
MTA: Postfix 2.X
Hardware: 1 X Pentium IV, 2.6Ghz, 1.0 Gig RAM, 2x SATA Raid 1
Operating System: RHEL 3.0
RBLs: 1 in MTA
Virus Scanners: ClamAV (clamav-0.80-2.1.el3.rf)
Mailscanner Version: mailscanner-4.36.4-1
Domains: 5
Spamassassin: Not being used

First let me say how impressed I am with Mailscanner. I have been using
it in a production enviorment for the last 4 weeks. I have only ever
just played with it in the past.

I am about to start adding more domains to my email server and have some
concerns. I have read a lot of negativity about Mailscanner and postfix
being used together in the postfix community and else where. We all know
this story so I don't need to go any farther. I have searched the
Mailscanner archives for any opinions from the Mailscanner experts
within the last 4 months, and have found very little information. I have
noticed however that the suggested way of setting up Mailscanner to work
with postfix has changed
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml so I
figured anything before the change was irrelevant. Hence the 4 month
limitation on the search. My question is this: has the way in which
Mailscanner is now being setup with postfix changed the integrity of
things? Has the overall outlook of Mailscanner when being used with
postfix improved at all in the postfix community?

I personally have not experienced any real serous problems yet. I have
however had some email sit in the queue for 10+ min. Before getting
delivered. One other time I needed to restart the Mailscanner service
because all mail was getting queued up and not getting delivered. After
restarting the service everything worked. I know this has something to
do with Mailscanner because before I integrated Mailscanner into this
server I never had this problem.

Pardon me for asking this question, but it seems that for the most part,
the Mailscanner community doesn't seem to see a real problem in which
the way Mailscanner works with postfix. On the other hand the Postfix
community does. Is this more personal than anything, or is there
actually some legitimacy behind it all?

Thanks,
Schrock