problems with "very long filename" rule?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 23 16:15:02 GMT 2004

Dan Hollis wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Peter Bonivart wrote:
>

>>>mailscanner should report the original filename when reporting a
>>>violation.
>>>

>>It can be risky to use the original filename if it's intended to do
>>damage.
>>

>Only risky if it's used as filename attachment, surely putting something
>like
>
>C:\\something\really\long\filename\blablabla\yadda\file.jpg
>
>in the body of a message can't do damage? It's not a link and it's not an
>attachment.
>
>Or, you're saying I just did potentially do some damage from the above line? :-)

Ah, if only the world was that friendly. Now imagine what happens when
someone constructs a filename that includes a MIME boundary string and
possibly some MIME-encoded data as well, all in the filename. Now by
just reporting the full filename you have provided a way for them to
inject a virus into the report message.

You *never* report input data back to anyone without santising it first.
One of the basic rules of secure and defensive programming.

>>Julian always sanitize logs and other stuff generated by MS. I
>>quarantine the message as queue files so I look into the Sendmail
>>df-file to see all attachments. If you really want to know I recommend
>>you do the same but why do you need to know the original name? It tells
>>you the reason for blocking the message, do you have to check if the
>>rule is working? That will get old real fast. :-)
>>

>There are a number of problems here:
>
>1) The problem here is that while it _was_ quarantined, the body of the
>message did not say that at all. So I had to dig through filesystem. We
>are medium sized isp with many users and heavy mail load and 'find' took
>quite some time.

You know the location already. It's in the quarantine, you know the date
and you know the message id. So you don't need "find" at all, there's
only 1 place it can be.

>2) In any case it's nice to have the original ("non-safed") filename
>in order to point out to the user exactly what was wrong. I had to dig
>through gigabytes of server logs to find the original filename. (Not to
>mention the quarantine id, which was not included in the report!)

No way!

>3) And shouldnt this be a choice of the mail administrator anyways, not a
>unilateral decision of mailscanner to always mangle the filename without
>consent of the server admin?

I clearly need to protect you from yourself. No insult intended, but
it's true as a general rule. Just because you don't know a way of
breaking something, doesn't mean it can't be broken by someone who does
know.

--
Julian Field