Mail not moving from /var/spool/mqueue.in to /var/spool/mqueue

Derek Catanzaro derek at ADCATANZARO.COM
Thu Dec 16 20:53:47 GMT 2004

FC1
MailScanner  4.63
spamassassin 2.63
sendmail 8.12.10

I had a complaint of a delayed email.  I checked /var/spool/mqueue.in
and there were no recent files.  I checked /var/spool/mqueue and it was
empty as well.  I restarted MS a few times by doing "service MailScanner
restart" after about the third time email started accumulating in
/var/spool/mqueue.in however, nothing was getting sent to
/var/spool/mqueue.

I then tried to restart MS again by using the following:
service sendmail stop
chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
service MailScanner start

Same thing, nothing was getting sent to /var/spool/mqueue

I decided to bounce the server.  After the reboot everything seems to be
working.  This is not the first time this has happened and I was
wondering if anyone has any idea as to what could cause this or how to
prevent these instances.  At the time I checked the server I was not
having any DNS issues and the services said that MailScanner was
running.  I am sure I'm do for another upgrade (probably go to FC3, use
the latest MS, and use spamassassin 3.0).  Does anyone know if an
upgrade is going to help or has anyone experienced the same issue with
the latest and greatest releases?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your time.