Classes of service using advanced queuing techniques.

Errol Neal eneal at DFI-INTL.COM
Wed Dec 15 21:12:08 GMT 2004

Thanks Julian. You are always very helpful.

Last question. Is it possible to set  Incoming Queue Dir to
/var/spool/mqueue.in.ciient1/* and /var/spool/mqueue.in.client2/*

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Julian Field
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:06 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Classes of service using advanced queuing techniques.

This is probably one for me :-)

You need to call your dx and qx directories df and qf, but otherwise the
latest version will do this. If you tell it the incoming queue dirs are
/var/spool/mqueue/* then it should do the rest of the incoming side
automatically for you.

On the outbound side, you need to say

return '/var/spool/mqueue.outbound.fast' if $messages->{fromdomain} =~
/veryimportantclient\.com/i;

In a reasonable size queue, it will work on the messages in strict date
order. If the queue starts to get very large, it will temporarily
abandon this sorting as it gets very expensive in most filesystems when
directories get large. Instead it will start on the first ones it reads
in the directory, as this is a lot faster. Once the queue has got small
enough, it stays in this mode for a while longer to get the queue clear
if at all possible, then it will revert to normal date-order processing.

Inevitably, this is all configurable.

Hopefully that answers most of your questions :)

Errol Neal wrote:

>Hi everyone. Been a long time since I posted to this list since I
>switched jobs. Happy holidays and hope everyone is doing well.
>
>I've been looking into implementing a hierarchy of service levels for
>mail delivery using the queuing capabilities of Sendmail and the
>multiple outbound queue groups found in the custom functions of
>MailScanner. What I'd like to do on the inbound side is to drop mail in

>one of several queues based upon the recipient domain and other stuff.
>This capability is already available to me through the use of the
>extended queue groups. So, to realize my ambitions, I'd like
>MailScanner to do the following:
>
>1. Pick up mail dropped in multiple queues/*
>
>Since the dx and qx files will be split into separate directories, I
>need to know if MailScanner can handle this. The directory structure
>will be something like this
>
>                        /var/spool/mqueue
>                                                /highpriority
>
>/dx
>
>/qx
>                                                /lowpriority
>
>/dx
>
>/qx
>
>2. Drop processed mail into multiple outgoing queues.
>
>I'm already using the feature &MultipleQueueDir to drop spam into a
>slow queue, however I want to prioritize outbound mail on the basis of
>it's final destination as well. Now I've tried using the following in
>CustomConfig.pm:
>
>                        return '/var/spool/mqueue.outbound.fast'
>if $messages->{fromdomain}, veryimportantclient.com;
>
>However, that did not work (If you are laughing at me, please do not..
>I have very little programming ability). Now, when I say "it did not
>work", I did not get an error and the queue was actually used, however
>the messages that went into the queue were not those that I wanted to.
>
>Is what I want to do possible? Secondly, does how does MailScanner
>determine which message to process first in a batch of say 100
messages?
>Is it FIFO based upon the time stamp on the file, or does it honor the
>message priority assigned to the queue file by sendmail?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Errol Neal

>Errol Uriel Neal Jr.
>Network Administrator