SA autowhitelisting revisited

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Dec 15 19:44:04 GMT 2004

At 12:50 PM 12/15/2004, Kevin Miller wrote:
>(Thanks Steve!)  I added the change but I'm wondering now though if I should
>blow away the auto-whitelist file?  Can I just delete it?  Should I 'touch'
>a new file afterwards or will SA automatically recreate it (but not populate
>it) if it needs one?

SA will recreate it if you obliterate the file. Be sure to obliterate the
mutex and/or lock file with it (see below)

>Also noticed a couple of odd files: bayes.mutex and auto-whitelist.mutex.
>What are those?  Never noticed them before.

Those are files that are used synchronization locks. They make sure that
only one copy of SA is writing to the file at a time, because if two did so
it would corrupt the file. (The term mutex is programmer shorthand for
"MUTual EXclusion".)