Autoupdate always runs a generic update for virus updates

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Dec 13 19:00:50 GMT 2004

At 04:14 AM 12/13/2004, Michael Freeman wrote:
>Im running F-Secure. When Autoupdate runs on the hour there are 4 messages
>as shown.
>
>Dec 13 04:07:39 srv08 update.virus.scanners: Found f-secure installed
>Dec 13 04:07:39 srv08 update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for f-secure
>Dec 13 04:07:47 srv08 update.virus.scanners: Found generic installed
>Dec 13 04:07:47 srv08 update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for generic
>
>Autoupdate for f-secure is fine, but why does MS also run an autoupdate
>for generic? I would think that if autoupdate for f-secure runs then the
>second or at least generic version should not be running. How can this be
>fixed?

Ignore it. It's not doing anything unless you've modified the generic
update script. Basicaly "generic" is an empty shell for you to add anything
you want. However, until you modify it, it doesn't do anything.

Search the archives if you need more info, but below is one message from
Julian on the subject...

At 17:10 06/10/2004, you wrote:
 >Hi there,
 >
 >i just installed the latest MailScanner-Version.
 >
 >and now i found the following alongside with the other updates from the
 >virus-scanners:
 >
 >Oct  6 18:05:00 mail update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for generic
 >Oct  6 18:05:00 mail Generic-autoupdate[4140]: Generic scanner
 >successfully updated
 >

 >Where does this come from?
 >
 >It says in the generic-autoupdate and -wrapper-script soemthing about own
 >virus-scanners..
 >
 >but i never did one on my own..

In which case the generic-autoupdate won't do anything. Don't worry about
it, just ignore it.